About Me

Lara David
Bay Area, CA, United States
I'm just a girl, writing and photographing my way through the world, one lesson at a time. Join me on my journey - you just might learn something.
View my complete profile!

What Is This Place?

This site is a work in progress - much like life, actually. I am an amateur photographer who enjoys playing with my Canon EOS 10D. Questions, comments, and suggestions are always welcome, since I'm really just learning. Like what you see? Encouragement would be greatly appreciated!

BSM: Radiant Bride

Saturday I attended the wedding of one of my best and dearest friends. The ceremony was lovely, and the reception was fun. I had my camera with me, of course, but actually took way fewer shots than I expected. My favorite part, though, was during the spotlight dances - the mother-son waltz, father-daughter waltz, and bride-groom waltz - when I just shot without thinking too much. I opted to keep the flash off, because I wanted to embrace the blur and see what happened. I got a few shots that I liked a lot, but this one was one of my favorites:


This is a close crop of a larger shot I took during the bride and groom's first dance as a married couple. Someone in the background happened to also be taking a picture, and the flash just happened to go off as I snapped this shot. I'm glad it did, though, as it gave the bride a luminous backlit effect. It sort of matches the stars in her eyes, looking up at her (now) husband.

Here's the same shot in black and white:


Sometimes, as a photographer, I work hard to get the shot just right. But other times, I just get lucky.

For other folks' best shots, head on over to Tracey's!

9 comments:

  1. Kim said...
     

    I love it in black and white. Lovely pictures!

  2. Sara said...
     

    I love the black and white also

  3. carrie said...
     

    That is lovely - a beautiful "happy accident."

  4. HLB said...
     

    That looks fantastic! I definitely have a few incredible accidents on photo as well. :)

    More often, there's some detail that I hadn't even thought of at the time I took the picture that actually makes it much cooler than I expected... In my photo for this week, I hadn't even thought of the cat's reflection when I took it. :)

  5. kim said...
     

    nice capture.

  6. Christina said...
     

    Ahhh, that is just lovely! I love the serindipity of the other flash creating that radiance around her.

    And, I'm glad to find your blog! I appreciate all your comments lately, but for some reason whenever I click your link, it says "page not found!" Now I've tracked you down. ;o)

  7. Maggie said...
     

    That is beautiful! What a great shot!

  8. Golightly said...
     

    That is so cool! I wish I had more happy accidents! she is gorgeous in that lighting.

  9. Chad Oneil Myers said...
     

    Great effect. I'm glad you got the timing just right.

Post a Comment