About Me

Lara David
Bay Area, CA, United States
I'm just a girl, writing and photographing my way through the world, one lesson at a time. Join me on my journey - you just might learn something.
View my complete profile!

What Is This Place?

This site is a work in progress - much like life, actually. I am an amateur photographer who enjoys playing with my Canon EOS 10D. Questions, comments, and suggestions are always welcome, since I'm really just learning. Like what you see? Encouragement would be greatly appreciated!

BSM: An Exercise In Vanity

Is it disgustingly self-centered to pick a photo of myself for my Best Shot Monday?

It's okay - you can tell me if it is.


I've been playing with the "smudge" effect lately. So far, I've been using it very conservatively, mostly as an alternative to soft focus. I think it gives better texture than soft focus, which I think helps to bring out the subject more strikingly.

What do you think?

17 comments:

  1. Hanlie said...
     

    I think you're one of the most interesting people I know and I love that picture. It looks very professional and the image really stands out from the background.

  2. HipMomma said...
     

    I think I love that hat! And not self-centered at all, it's a great shot.

  3. Kyla said...
     

    You're so cute! Great shot.

  4. Jill B said...
     

    Good shot, and I LOVE that hat.

  5. Maya said...
     

    What a great shot. I am in love with that hat!

  6. Golightly said...
     

    Very nice shot, I love the hat and the whole composition gives it a 20's flapper feel.

    Very nice.

  7. tali said...
     

    Don't know anything about "smudge" but I love that hat!! It looks super-cute on you =)

  8. Sarah-Ji said...
     

    I envy people who can wear hats and look good! Hey, it's your BSM, so I think you can post whatever you want. And that is a great self-portrait, BTW.

  9. Christina said...
     

    That's a gret shot! I too love the hat. It's always such a good feeling to get a picture of yourself that you actually LIKE - so post away!

  10. Lara said...
     

    since the hat seems to be the star of the picture, a little info: it's a 1920's style cloche hat, made of brown felt, bought at a small independent boutique in SF. :)

  11. susiej said...
     

    No, No... never is that vanity. We should take more pictures of ourselves. Great shot.

  12. Maggie said...
     

    I think it's a great shot, not self-centered in the least. I'm actually totally envious that you take self portraits, because that is something that I NEVER do!

  13. Phyllis Sommer said...
     

    we should *always* take pictures of ourselves too! (how did you take this picture so nicely of yourself?) i like the effect...

  14. natalie said...
     

    Love it!

  15. Bonnie said...
     

    Nah, I post photos of myself sometimes too !! You should especially post it if it's as good as this one ! Well done ... I'll have to play around with the smudge effect too !

  16. Lara said...
     

    phyllis - this shot was done with a tripod, a mirror, and a self-timer. :)

  17. LaLa said...
     

    You give good hat! That is a gem of a photo.

Post a Comment